Welcome to our friendly and inclusive Murphy's Creek State School community, where quality educational and social outcomes are our focus and where each and every student is important and valued.
Established in 1870, at the foot of the Great Dividing Range near Toowoomba, we have a long and proud history of providing excellent educational opportunities and achieving positive learning outcomes for all students, through the dedicated and caring efforts of our highly experienced teaching and support staff.
Our focus on excellence in education is underpinned by our strong commitment to the achievement of quality relationships within our school. We encourage our students to participate actively, demonstrate responsibility and behave in a manner that shows respect for the rights of others.
In 2019, Murphy's Creek State School has 31 enrolments- 14 students in Class SO (Prep to Year 3), and 17 students in Class M (Years 4-6). Students are taught in multi-age or composite classes which allows for individuality and differentiation of learning programs. We are privileged to have great teaching support staff that enable us to provide small-group style learning for each age or ability group.
Our school motto is "Strive to Excel", which clearly portrays our mission to continually improve every aspect of our school.
History of Murphy's Creek
The traditional aborigines of the area were the Kitabel people who spoke the Yuggera dialect. They called the area Tamamareen, meaning “where the fishing nets were burnt in a grass fire”.
The explorer Alan Cunningham was the first recorded pioneer, camping at Lockyer siding on the 25th June 1829. The locality became known by the early surveyors as Fingal. However in 1840 Patrick Leslie, along with his freed servant Peter Duffy Murphy, happened upon the area whilst looking for a crossing over the Range. They later pastured sheep and cattle in the area using the water from the creek, under the watch of a shepherd named Murphy. The area became known by the station managers as Murphy's Creek, a name which has by popular use, supplanted the name of Fingal.
The community of Murphy's Creek was largely established during the construction of the Toowoomba Range Railway Crossing in the 1860’s. At the time this crossing represented a great engineering challenge and its construction was a huge commitment for the fledgling state of Queensland. Rail workers were recruited from all over the world. An eyewitness in 1865 described Murphy's Creek as being “a seething mass of tents, humpies, salons and sly grog-shops.”